What I intend to do with this week's grocery haul

Lately I've stopped going grocery shopping on weekends and there's a reason for that. My regular grocery store restocks on Mondays so the sooner (after that) I go, the more likely it is they'll have everything I need so I don't have to make multiple trips. Also, because most people go grocery shopping on weekends, that's when the grocery store is most busy. I really like to feel relaxed and like it's not crowded when I go grocery shopping.

I posted on Instagram what I got this week (I'm actually going to post after I finish writing this but according to my stats, most of you guys come from Instagram) but this post is about what I intend to do with it. Here goes:

Kale: Kale is an absolute essential because I make plenty of salads and kale is my preferred base. I also enjoy homemade kale chips

Spinach: there's so much you can do with spinach and the spinach this week is some of the best I've ever seen. I primarily put it in my green juices but lately, I've also been putting it in casseroles. I could also use it as a salad base if I run out of kale (or use them together)

Bartlett pear: I love apples and pears. Not only are they perfect for fall but they are super practical as healthy snacks. This week, the Bartlett pears were cheapest so I went with that. The prices of apples and pears change by the week at my grocery store so I just go with the best deal that week.

Sweet potato and Anaheim pepper: These are grouped together because I'm using them in the same recipe. The Gruvey Fam vlogs posted a plant based meal idea on their channel last summer: yam and sweet potato soup/dip with potatoes and romaine. I thought it was perfect for the season and would put a fun savory twist on ingredients I grew up primarily eating in Sweet Potato Casserole on Thanksgiving so I'm going to give it a try.

Ginger root: I really like the flavor of fresh ginger and it's super healthy. For weeks, my grocery store didn't have it so I've been making do with ground ginger so I'm really happy they now have it. Hopefully it stays that way...

Small beet: I've been seeing juice recipes on Pinterest involving beets so I decided to give it a shot. I don't have much experience with beets and I'm sure they'd stain everything so I only got a small one.

Fresh rosemary: You know you're a professional chef when you're using fresh herbs! Okay, I'm not actually a professional chef but they do make edible creations come to life! Rosemary is one I've been using quite frequently these days because I really like the flavor of it.

Rice noodles: First and foremost, thin rice noodles are an important ingredient in making Pho. Secondly, if I run out of gluten free pasta, rice noodles work as a replacement.

Gluten free all purpose flour: I'm going to use this to make some gluten free vegan cornbread. I've never used gluten free APF before so I'm interested to see how this turns out. I'm thinking I want to make a cornbread stuffing this Thanksgiving so I'm excited to try it.

Sparkling grape juice: R. W. Knudsen sparkling juices are seasonal at my grocery store. It's non alcoholic and free of added sugar so I love this as a seasonal replacement for soda. I got the apple one last week and this week I got the grape. They also have a cranberry one and sometimes a pear flavor.

I hope y'all enjoyed this week's haul and don't forget to stay tuned for fun surprises both on the blog and on the Instagram.

Popular posts from this blog

Product Review: Seneca Original Apple Chips

Cinco de Mayo as a vegan

Vegan Pad Thai